Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gonzo.


Gonzo
Hunter S Thompson
$39.95

"This is the way life goes in Big Sur: waiting for the mail, watching the sea-lions in the surf or the freighters on the horizon, sitting in the tubs at Hot Springs, once in a while a bit of drink - and, most of the time, working at whatever it is that you came here to work on, whether it be painting, writing, gardening or the simple art of living your own life."

I have a love affair with Big Sur. I could move there in a heart-beat. The only thing that prevents me visiting more often is the cursed drive from LA. The 101 cliff-drive-of-death scares the living daylights out of me. For one thing I am a terrible driver and for another I suffer from crippling vertigo. VERTIGO! VERTIGO!

Jimmy makes fun of me because I say this phrase at least twice a day but "one of my favourite books of all time is" Henry Miller's Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch. There is one passage in which he describes Big Sur as being the place that shows the earth as the Creator intended. I aint no religious nut or nothing but I totally agree.

No comments: