Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vivienne Westwood - An Unfashionable Life!


She's here again!!!! I would have scanned an image of the cover - which is Vivienne wearing one of her scarlet red plastic bags from her store, on her head as a dashing headscarf - but due to afore mentioned scanner debacle I couldn't. I'm not fretting as I have ordered a new one courtesy of the lovely Glenn.

This is the best biography of hers I have read. It's not a pictorial biography - it's a dense comprehensive bio and it's great. It get into all the nitty gritty of Ms. Westwood's upbringing in northern England and her marriages, but it's not salacious and gossipy - it's all within the relevance of her creative output. It informs about the influence of Andreas on the direction of the line, how Malcolm Mclaren was a major player and all the fun and frolics from her various retail locations. Unputdownable. 

Vivienne Westwood: An Unfashionable Life
Jane Mulvagh
Out of Print / Hardback
$35

No comments: